Higashi

Murder Revival

Murder Revival

Thread Discussion and Suggestions:

Image result for Gmod Murder

As some of you know the Murder Server Poseidon currently hosts has been a sort of grey area as recent, every time you look at it you normally see little to no players and when you do actually see players its normally randoms and Americans that join the server, blessed be the days when this server actually brought in regulars that made the game mode fun and enjoyable for all. The server as we know is on a thin line like most of the other servers and as I said before is only surviving off random players at this point, this may be due in part to the boring long con of the game mode or the actual lack of appeal the server brings, in this thread ill do my best to suggest ideas & suggestions to help improve the game mode.

We need to improve on the server as a whole and actually get the Murder staff team to dedicate time to actually jumpstart the server, a server with low download times, friendly staff, friendly management and easy custom small maps is always a good thing to have on any server, and even more so on Murder.

Image result for Gmod Murder background

• Maps:

From what I have personally observed and what some of the people who used to play Murder have told me, most of these maps are either too big and can take some time for specific users to actually download, as a Murder server it is always a good idea to have small but fun Murder based maps that are incredibly easy to download and wrap your head around. Maps that dont require CS:S textures are normally more than ideal as well (Keep in mind there isnt alot.)

Suggested Map Additions:

Suggested Map Removals:

• Name: ttt_maze_runners_beta_v2
  • Why: While it is a medium scaled map, users just hide in the maze all the time, and certain areas the murderer cannot actually see you from above, fairly easy to get to broken areas and an around annoying map.

Development/Updates:

From when I actually first came on the Murder server the tab menu nearly always annoyed me, its pretty much outdated and could do with either a rework or a massive improvement, its just visually cancer and the tabs and things around the menu is just a bit annoying and could be placed better.

Clutter of ideas:

-!models menu instead of a PS, free models where players can manually switch when they are dead

-Update the join server in the tab menu and add existing Poseidon Servers gamemodes.

-Custom PR made specially by the developer and makes Poseidon Murder Stand out.

MOTD (Rules):

Its essential that any server should have little rules to let the players have a bit more freedom when it comes to actually playing the gamemode, but not too little so that players are constantly minging, abusing staff trust and breaking the common idea of common sense.

-Removal General sense rule: Remove rules 1, 2, 6 & 9 and Shift it into a Common sense rule, since all these rules falls under the pretense of common sense.

-Remove Staff rules, completely useless for new players, put it somewhere else like staff discord.

-Remove Murder Rule 8

-Remove Gun man thing Rule 3

Ill definitely add more and fix up some more shit as it comes to mind, but as of now I think this thread is big enough for now, I encourage discussion and more suggestions/ideas, feel free to comment!

• Informative 1
  • Agree 3

The main reason is because the gamemode is just boring as fuck, one way to make it stand out and potentionally gain traction/players is to not make it boring, and make it custom to where it's actually considered fun, because as it is, the only "fun" times are either when you've got the gun, you're the murderer or if it's a power round, and the higher the playercount, the harder it is to win as the Murderer, and the less fun it is due to the chance of becoming the murderer/bystander with a gun is dramatically lowered as opposed to a smaller player count at the time.

11 minutes ago, Higashi said:

MOTD (Rules):

-Removal General sense rule: Remove rules 1, 2, 6 & 9 and Shift it into a Common sense rule, since all these rules falls under the pretense of common sense.

-Remove Staff rules, completely useless for new players, put it somewhere else like staff discord.

-Remove Murder Rule 8

-Remove Gun man thing Rule 3

Although they do fall under common sense, adding another section to the MOTD (and if people are actually going to read it) will just make it seem there's more to read then what there actually is, and general sense can be interpreted as general sense as well, but a more fitting title would be General Rules. Staff rules aren't needed in an MOTD that's meant for users, and users only upon wanting a grasp of the rules, as it's pretty obvious by now to know when a staff is abusing their powers. There's nothing wrong with spamming taunts (IMO), so removing that rule wouldn't affect much at all, as all it's doing is hurting your ears, and you don't need sound to be able to play the gamemode, and if it was really bothering you that much then you can alter the sound settings to your liking then, or get a cooldown timer on them if you really needed that. Removing rule 3 under gun man is a bad idea, as you've already got a gun, and shouldn't be concerned about getting other clues as that's what one of the only incentives to play as a regular bystander is, with another person (whose already got a gun) collecting clues then it makes getting a gun just that little bit harder depending on the player count/

In regards to the maps, a huge majority of the maps look unappealing and are boring to be on/interact with and with maps being a huge part of any server on any gamemode, if the map you're playing on isn't fun to be on then the gamemode will struggle. I find that there's a few small maps on the server, that should be added (I haven't been on in a while, and can't be bothered to go ahead and find them, as I don't have the power to do so).

• Agree 2

A big issue is staff commitment, the Managers aren't doing much development on the server and the staff team (myself included) aren't putting in the effort to jumpstart it. Reviving a server is a team effort and having one or two people sit on the server is not going to do much.

Even if we did try to make an effort we can't rely on jumpstarting everyday to keep the server alive, there needs to be development and new unique features to make it stand out form the other Aussie murder servers, updating the game mode and allowing murderers to use traitor traps was a good start and added some extra content, but there needs to be more.

And yeah maze runners should've been removed long ago.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, JohnLenny( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

A big issue is staff commitment, the Managers aren't doing much development on the server and the staff team (myself included) aren't putting in the effort to jumpstart it. Reviving a server is a team effort and having one or two people sit on the server is not going to do much.

Even if we did try to make an effort we can't rely on jumpstarting everyday to keep the server alive, there needs to be development and new unique features to make it stand out form the other Aussie murder servers, updating the game mode and allowing murderers to use traitor traps was a good start and added some extra content, but there needs to be more.

And yeah maze runners should've been removed long ago.

I completely agree. In terms of development, I am looking to improve the server and its features but there hasn't been much I can do. Due to there not being many suggestions at all that are meaningful. New content will help the server to get off the ground but eventually like everything people will get sick of it and move on. Basically the same thing that happened with Breach (Although SCP:SL didn't help).  I do want the server to get its playerbase back, it just needs a kick and I am happy to provide that from a development perspective and put some new features and content that can encourage players to join. At the end of the day, the server is only as good as its staff team in most cases, if we don't put in the effort to be around and actively jumpstart as well as staff the server then it'll die.

18 minutes ago, m3islessthen3characters said:

let it die, as remix said its boring as fuck and there are better alternatives that are way more enjoyable then murder.

Such as TTT which is Murders bigger and 10000x better Father.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, m3islessthen3characters said:

let it die, as remix said its boring as fuck and there are better alternatives that are way more enjoyable then murder.

While true, this gamemode has so many memories and good times attached to it, I would rather have it seen used to its full potential rather than discarded.

• Friendly 1

17 minutes ago, Higashi said:

While true, this gamemode has so many memories and good times attached to it, I would rather have it seen used to its full potential rather than discarded.

So... murder is the new jailbreak?

1 minute ago, Hagop said:

So... murder is the new jailbreak?

Sorta, just picture the worst gamemode on Garry's Mod that's similar to TTT and it's pretty much the same thing!

• Winner 1