bat

The future of Poseidon

Keep discord server and forums?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep the discord server and the forums?

• Only discord server
    • Only forums
    • Both
    • Neither

Honestly, if people want the forums and discord to stay up, and they're happy to sort that out, go for it. But, I think it's pretty evident that GMod isn't what it once was, and that many people have moved on. 

We can dance around it, and put it down to poor management, the wrong servers, a lack of enthusiasm, whatever. We can attribute the failings of this reboot to anything and everything else aside from the reality all we want, but I think the game, the servers, the tiny Australian GMod population speaks for itself.

8 hours ago, Higashi said:

Tyger was always going to take ownership, up until real life got stressful for him, even with that he maintained an active presence within the community even more so than lantos or spook combined. While I agree that he does go off every now and again with other matters that still dosent put aside the fact that putting him in the full ownership role now is better for long term and will definetely keep Poseidon alive for years to come. 

Im kissing his fucking ugly ass toes here but he quite literally the backbone of the community and always has been, from his developement of multiple servers to the implementation of complete new ones that were a basic shot in the dark.

I like Tyger as much as the next community member, but I'd really like to see some objectivity. Yes, he's mature, he's well respected. He also has a long history of being woefully inactive, saying he'll come back and resume his activity, only to go missing in action again; his post here is no different. Yes, he's an important community member, so are many others. The community wouldn't be what it is without many of Poseidon's community members, bat, Jimmy, Hinzy, Jamie to name a few, of course Tyger included. The backbone of the community isn't solely or substantially ascribable to single person, and as much as I have no problem praising Tyger for his contributions, which no doubt are considerable and worthy of recognition, I think it's really unfair and honestly rude to deny and neglect to mention the tireless contributions of many others in the same breath. 

Honing specifically into a change of ownership, of course he's welcome to have crack it. If he's willing to fund it, run it and sort it out, be my guest. But, I think when talking about what that may look like, or the contributions of community members to the community, we need to be fair and realistic.

• Friendly 1
  • Winner 2

In the same vein as what I said in my previous post, I wanted to acknowledge a number of people who have made considerable contributions, and who I would regard as being indispensable to the Poseidon Community.

@Jimmy - Tireless and exceptionally talented developer. Provided a custom edge not only to the server's content, but to it's management. I've already said a lot about you, but needless to say that you did awesome work not only for DarkRP but for the community as a whole.

@bat - Always a voice for reason and compassion on the all too often abrasive environment that is the internet. Always making quality posts on the forums and on discord, and honestly, I don't think DarkRP would have been marked with the degree of stablity and maturity in it's management for however long it existed without you.

@Tyger - A bit before my time, but needless to say another great voice for reason on the forums. Took a lot of my Head Admin practices out of your book, and whilst I may have said no one person can be considered the backbone of the community, you certainly were one of the vertebrae.

@Lantos @Skippy - Thank you so much for financing and setting up the forums and the community in general. Yes, you may have been a bit inactive, but I feel you blokes don't get enough credit for the level of autonomy and respect you afforded not only to the community, but to management teams of the servers within your community. 

@Hinzy -  Massive closeted homosexual and needs to be outed. Lovely bloke, king of sarcasm, and a painful troll at times. You brought a wave of quality RP experiences to the DarkRP I don't think are replicable. Love the maps and the hardwork, and the quality RP posts on the forums. Indispensible part of DarkRP.

@Rahj - The realest person on Poseidon. Genuinely such a nice guy, wears his heart on his sleeve, and you can tell makes a mean kebab. Had some great moments with you man, was nice to have met.

I'll add more in my next post, to be continued.

• Friendly 7
  • Winner 1

11 minutes ago, Morgan Friedman said:

yo if gmod 2 comes out and it is extremely popular and the community comes back would Poseidon be up again?

It's possible, but it wouldn't be a sure thing. It comes down to the interest and motivation of the people involved.

• Friendly 1

just put bat, jimmy and tyger in charge.

Jimmy & Tyger work on server developement, staff management and interest projects

Bat works on overal community communication, management and future projects that will attract more people.

3 partners that work with one another using various forms of communication such as discord, trello, forums and whatnot to not only communicate with eachother but also the community on updates and new platforms.

• Disagree 3
  • Suspicious 1

49 minutes ago, Higashi said:

Jimmy & Tyger work on server developement, staff management and interest projects

Bat works on overal community communication, management and future projects that will attract more people.

3 partners that work with one another using various forms of communication such as discord, trello, forums and whatnot to not only communicate with eachother but also the community on updates and new platforms.

As "easy" as that sounds I don't think it is do-able though. These people have already put themselves through it and not to sound rude but it didn't revive. I think everyone in a management position has already tried hard to revive it and the flame has gone out man, I like your enthuasism but it's just time to move on 😕

• Friendly 2

4 hours ago, Higashi said:

What is retardation for 500, Alex

• Yikes 1

4 hours ago, Higashi said:

I appreciate the thought, but I don't really have any sort of interest in it. This time around it was just out of some weird feeling of obligation.