bat

The future of Poseidon

Keep discord server and forums?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep the discord server and the forums?

• Only discord server
    • Only forums
    • Both
    • Neither

Hey everyone, The decision has been made to once again shut down the server hosting/running side of Poseidon, if not Poseidon as a whole. This decision has been reached due to a variety of reasons:

- Due to other commitments such as work or tertiary education, most of Poseidon's management team don't have the time or motivation that running a community requires. This is probably the most significant reason for this decision.

- Though Poseidon has a small community of dedicated members, largely since relaunch it has failed to accrue and/or keep a base of new players. While it's perhaps true that this could be achieved with some hard work and community engagement, the first point touches on why this is unlikely to be achieved.

- DarkRP, which has historically been the bread and butter of Poseidon in terms of maintaining playerbase, appears to have a smaller playerbase overall, meaning that serious effort would need to be utilised to poach players from existing servers. Refer to the first point again for why this is unlikely to happen.

It is possible that if people would like Poseidon to continue existing as a community, the forums could be kept online, and game nights can continue to be held using the forum's built-in calendar function. The DarkRP discord can also continue to exist as a chat hub and a venue for game nights. 

I would love to hear people's input. I have attached a poll regarding the state of the discord and forums.

• Yikes 1
  • Sad 2

And theres no possible way for another person or group of people to manage the server.

Edited by Friend

Just now, Friend said:

And theres no possible way for another person or group of people to run the server.

Are you talking about DarkRP or are you talking about Poseidon in general?

Either way, who do you propose does this? There is a huge degree of trust involved.

1 minute ago, bat said:

Are you talking about DarkRP or are you talking about Poseidon in general?

Either way, who do you propose does this? There is a huge degree of trust involved.

Both, but primarily DarkRP and I don't know who is best to manage, I'm not really in the loop in the behind the scenes of Poseidon so it's hard for me to say.

12 minutes ago, Friend said:

Both, but primarily DarkRP and I don't know who is best to manage, I'm not really in the loop in the behind the scenes of Poseidon so it's hard for me to say.

With DarkRP, there isn't really a suitable candidate.  Even if someone put their hand up, so much of our DarkRP content (script-wise) is either Jimmy's own custom content, or optimised by Jimmy. I think it's pretty understandable that Jimmy might not want this to fall into other people's hands and potentially get disseminated to other servers down the line. If this sounds petty, it's absolutely not. It's not unreasonable for content that Jimmy spent many hours working on to remain protected.

With regards to Poseidon as a whole, I think it becomes even murkier and less feasible.

21 minutes ago, bat said:

With DarkRP, there isn't really a suitable candidate.  Even if someone put their hand up, so much of our DarkRP content (script-wise) is either Jimmy's own custom content, or optimised by Jimmy. I think it's pretty understandable that Jimmy might not want this to fall into other people's hands and potentially get disseminated to other servers down the line. If this sounds petty, it's absolutely not. It's not unreasonable for content that Jimmy spent many hours working on to remain protected.

With regards to Poseidon as a whole, I think it becomes even murkier and less feasible.

I know this is a bit of a stretch but is it possible to close down the actual gmod server temporarily then reopen it at a later date like the end of the year holiday period where presumably everyone would have more time to spend on the server. 

I think the server was doing well on release it's just that over time the playerbase got demoralized by the server browser issue, staff inactivity, uneasiness about the new features of the server and the nerfed printers.

It's true that gmod has a lower playerbase nowadays in Australia but imo you guys should of reached outside of Gmod by putting out a steam group announcement when the server first opened to let every single veteran of Poseidon know that the server was back. I really think that if the server was reopened again and this time accompanied by a steam group announcement to thousands of players that it would get a decent amount of them to join.

Edited by Russian Spy
  • Thinking 1

37 minutes ago, Russian Spy said:

I know this is a bit of a stretch but is it possible to close down the actual gmod server temporarily then reopen it at a later date like the end of the year holiday period where presumably everyone would have more time to spend on the server. 

I think the server was doing well on release it's just that over time the playerbase got demoralized by the server browser issue, staff inactivity, uneasiness about the new features of the server and the nerfed printers.

It's true that gmod has a lower playerbase nowadays in Australia but imo you guys should of reached outside of Gmod by putting out a steam group announcement when the server first opened to let every single veteran of Poseidon know that the server was back. I really think that if the server was reopened again and this time accompanied by a steam group announcement to thousands of players that it would get a decent amount of them to join.

It's not outside the realm of possibility, though I don't think it's necessarily that likely. It probably hinges on a few factors we can't predict now.

I understand what you're saying about the steam group, but I think it overall would be unlikely to have helped in the long term. Yes, there wasn't much to lose on that front besides attracting undesirable people back into the community. I don't think it was likely to attract many players. The group is sizeable yes, but think about how many people join steam groups for tenuous reasons. There are plenty of steam groups I would ignore announcements from. 

I guess it comes down to the first point in my initial post as well, which is the lack of time and enthusiasm in management as well.

To be fair, you never really did experiment with or change the server that much, and although what we had in the past worked, it didn't work now and so you could do what ryeboy said but it couldn't be the same server we have now.

1 hour ago, Friend said:

To be fair, you never really did experiment with or change the server that much, and although what we had in the past worked, it didn't work now and so you could do what ryeboy said but it couldn't be the same server we have now.

To be fair changing the rules to be more liberalised in that citizens could form gangs, commit crimes and essentially be allowed to do things that weren't allowed before without joining a specific job is pretty radical for a Gmod Dark RP server. If it were to be revived again you are right in that it would have to be different just to attract the veteran players again but I think a simple map change might do the trick whether it's an updated Triton or returning to Fade etc.

Edited by Russian Spy
  • Friendly 1