William

How did the server die?

Posted (edited)

I don't understand how the server died...

I know that people stopped playing, but why? What drove them off? Nothing? I know this has happened before and I'm sure we'll see our server come back some day but how did this happen? 

It was too slow do notice but eventually the server was just empty. Then we started migrating to Sabretooth (but that's another discussion).

I find it weird that the server died multiple times after me getting banned, when Echotiger took a break, when he left, and now....

Obviously this is correlation not causation but I am curious as to how Rahj's management got us here, especially when the server got high teens and low twenties at the start of last year. This is probably correlation rather than causation again since, in my opinion Rahj is a better manager than Monkey.

Why does this serve seem to spike up and then fizzle out in fluctuations? Well I haven't been in the community for very long so maybe it only began recently?

I hope this server gets back to it's prime again, sooner than later. I love this server and it hurts me to see it die over, and over again.

I need  to get a life lol.

Edited by William

Poseidon has always had its ups and downs, for a while now its required people to jumpstart the server to get players on which is difficult due to requiring people to sit around waiting for others to join. Currently it is unavailable due to the migration and will be down for a while as we will be making some new and interesting changes to make it as enjoyable as ever. It is in no part rahjs management that caused these issues, they have been around for years just now with the age of the game it's starting to show its age as it gets updated more things break since addon makers don't tend to update their add-ons to make use of the newer features (plus the source engine is pretty outdated no matter what way you look at it) 

As I mentioned, there are some things in store to improve the server and once it returns I'm sure we will be fine 

• Informative 1

you killed the server

• Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, baby said:

you killed the server

Literally this

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

We lost the best developer ever and the server died :(((( which would be Akechi xd

We comm banned Higashi because sensitive snowflakes and all that, so losing him we lost the most dedicated server jump starter.

Normally server dies with manager shifts (Speaking from Deathrun experience) and it takes some time and dedication for it to re-boot itself. Rahj could be the literal best manager in the world (as far I can see his been doing a great job) but it won't account for anything if people don't try to jump start the server. It's literally in the communities hands.

Yeah also I would not be surprised is certain individuals killed it. Super anal about rules and demotion reports for petty reasons left right and center. Not to mention "Omg its X player lets focus them with the knife or the huge every round xd" really drives away people from wanting to play.

Edited by Dusk
  • Friendly 1
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 3

Gmod is dying as a whole. Better hope for gmod 2 or whatever it's called to hurry up and release 

• Agree 4

Your ban expired :c

Every Poseidon server goes through active and inactive periods, and TTT has seemed to be quite subject to a lot of fluctuation, from what I’ve noticed since joining; Rahj has been doing an amazing job, but there still needs to be people jump starting the server before more players actually join, and interest in the gamemode—and Garry’s Mod in general—seems to be slowly on the decline anyway.

• Winner 2

20 hours ago, Dusk said:

We lost the best developer ever and the server died :(((( which would be Akechi xd

We comm banned Higashi because sensitive snowflakes and all that, so losing him we lost the most dedicated server jump starter.

Normally server dies with manager shifts (Speaking from Deathrun experience) and it takes some time and dedication for it to re-boot itself. Rahj could be the literal best manager in the world (as far I can see his been doing a great job) but it won't account for anything if people don't try to jump start the server. It's literally in the communities hands.

Yeah also I would not be surprised is certain individuals killed it. Super anal about rules and demotion reports for petty reasons left right and center. Not to mention "Omg its X player lets focus them with the knife or the huge every round xd" really drives away people from wanting to play.

Just here to say <3

• Friendly 2
  • Winner 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:29 PM, William said:

in my opinion Rahj is a better manager than Monkey.

That's because all monkey ever did was accept/deny applications lul.

It isn't that time of year when people have their mid-term exams? If it is then that's a reason why as to why the server is dead atm, and due to the migration that also plays a factor into it. Garry's Mod as a game in general is super fucking boring and for people to still play it actively in 2019 are mental. People also tend to move on in their lives and try to stray away from either playing games they were addicted to, or move on all together. A lot of the community that played back in like 2013-2015 have gotten much older and are being more productive and whatnot with their lives and simply don't have the time to play.

At the end of the day Garry's Mod is just bland and boring. As Chris mentioned, the only hope for a real active playerbase is when S&box comes out.

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

It isn't that time of year when people have their mid-term exams? If it is then that's a reason why as to why the server is dead atm, and due to the migration that also plays a factor into it.

That's probably it but idk. I guess I need to get a life lol.