Sign in to follow this  
admiral

Good coding projects to put on a resume/portfolio?

So some context: I'm going/currently studying for a computing and then a IT certificate and I want to make a or some projects that can impress certain employers. What would be some suggestions? 

print("Hello World")

• Dumb 1
  • Thinking 1

what exactly you doing and what experience do you have??

like if u do websites. you could make something very pretty and advanced to show how cool you can make a website

6 minutes ago, Kaptian Core (Russ) said:

what exactly you doing and what experience do you have??

like if u do websites. you could make something very pretty and advanced to show how cool you can make a website

Funnily enough my next assignment at school is web development but I mainly want to get into Software/Game Development. I'll keep that in mind though.

My suggestion is (even tho I am just a kid who hasn't actually gotten a developer job), I suggest having tons of little mini projects showcasing what you are capable of, documenting them and putting them on github and explain on what the project is as well as source code.

• Informative 1
  • Agree 2

I don't know much about coding as a career but I know some people who study that type of thing or software development usually end up in the corporate world designing websites for businesses, etc. The same thing happens with music, people end up doing audio engineering for corporate events etc, so I would preemptively design something 'corporate' looking, even if it's a website for yourself and your own portfolio. 

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

basically overall

have a really nice portfolio site, showing your projects (that are explained in lots of depth),  also what experience you have (what languages you know, what software you have experience with (and how much experience), etc). also a button to download your cv/resume

Edited by Kaptian Core (Russ)
  • Agree 1

Probably something involving API calls would be best.

I recently got a front-end job after doing a take-home project for them, it used the TicketMaster discovery API https://developer.ticketmaster.com/products-and-docs/apis/discovery-api/v2/  to make a single page application that shows events near you (made in React js)

However if you want to be in games programming I'm not sure if they would care about this kind of stuff, but anything that proves you know how git works, how to gather requirements, how to test your projects etc definitely helps, most companies want more than just a code monkey that can hit the keyboard good

• Friendly 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Splerge said:

Probably something involving API calls would be best.

I recently got a front-end job after doing a take-home project for them, it used the TicketMaster discovery API https://developer.ticketmaster.com/products-and-docs/apis/discovery-api/v2/  to make a single page application that shows events near you (made in React js)

However if you want to be in games programming I'm not sure if they would care about this kind of stuff, but anything that proves you know how git works, how to gather requirements, how to test your projects etc definitely helps, most companies want more than just a code monkey that can hit the keyboard good

this ^^

Honestly things like poseidon. If you were around when people where coding on poseidon. The fortunate few have just entered Microsoft/google/Atlassian github. Some went straight from highschool skipped the uni meme and now work for Deloitte and what not.

But really we all should not be aiming to increase your "Experience badges" , we should try to make projects that can help you employ people/help others.

• Friendly 1
  • Suspicious 1