bat

Where to go from here?

1 hour ago, bat said:

Even if we don't bring back any full-time gamemodes as of yet, I'm interested to see if people would be interested in a server wherein it cycles a different gamemode each week (examples listed below). These would typically be gamemodes with little full-time/long term appeal. We'd probably make use of the forum's calendar to set events for perhaps Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, which people can RSVP to so everyone has an idea of how populated the event might be.

Examples of gamemodes featured this way could be:

• Race 
  • Ragdoll Combat
  • Flood
  • Cinema (for "movie nights")
  • Deathrun
  • Open to suggestions for more

This is a great idea, although maybe instead of week to week, people could have a vote after a round/certain period of time to decide what gamemode to play on.

Also I think DarkRP would be an alright option. If the launch isn't plagued with server issues and it doesn't die within a week or two, we could start out small and then grow. A lot of people would want to come back to Poseidon and enjoy playing on their favourite server again.

• Agree 2

Just now, Hagop said:

This is a great idea, although maybe instead of week to week, people could have a vote after a round/certain period of time to decide what gamemode to play on.

Also I think DarkRP would be an alright option. If the launch isn't plagued with server issues and it doesn't die within a week or two, we could start out small and then grow. A lot of people would want to come back to Poseidon and enjoy playing on their favourite server again.

I kinda hinted at that in one of my posts. That's a lot like a fretta/minigames gamemode, which is really fun. But if we could have two servers up, one with scheduled events would be fun because there would be a bit of looking forward to it as well as seeing in advance who else was planning to attend.

• Good Idea! 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Hagop said:

Yes.

• Dumb 1

I'd like to offer a counter suggestion which is to delete the forums again.

After you decline that, a changing gamemode server seems alright although im not sure it would be very easy to generate a playerbase with a server that constantly changes gamemode, plus they'd feel out of it with all the in references of the people who've come back (this might not be a big issue). Also bring back Jailbreak, even if no one plays.

• Agree 4
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Lcast15 said:

I'd like to offer a counter suggestion which is to delete the forums again.

After you decline that, a changing gamemode server seems alright although im not sure it would be very easy to generate a playerbase with a server that constantly changes gamemode, plus they'd feel out of it with all the in references of the people who've come back (this might not be a big issue). Also bring back Jailbreak, even if no one plays.

The rotating server wouldn't necessarily be intended to attract new players, but rather just a bit of fun for existing players. It could incidentally attract new players, and we'd have a link to the forums to potentially gather new community members. 

I mean, we would like to gather new players, but that server might not be the best way to get them. Perhaps I'm banking too much on having an existing playerbase (even if modest). People are always welcome to invite friends if they enjoy our event nights.

• Good Idea! 1

I think that a couple servers could certainly run without the (was it $300?) sizeable price tag that was on it before, and expanding a little bit outside of Garry's Mod could even be a good change for the community, a great way to re-introduce old community members, and a way for some of us to play some different games here and there with the old community members that we enjoy. Hoping that it actually does well, I'm 100% down for a cycle server, and it'd be a great chance to both host and play some of the smaller and, honestly, mostly completely dead party gamemodes that can't survive on their own as a dedicated server, especially some of the ones that had their moment in the spotlight for a little bit and dipped off the radar afterwards. (Hide and Seek, Melonbomber, Guess Who, Flood, Prop Hunt, etc.) It'd be good to have something like this to look forward to, and to get the community back together.

@bat your idea of a server with a gamemode vote is something I think would be super interesting and refreshing, although I'd be afraid that people who don't want to play the new gamemode would leave, and there'd be nobody joining whatever it moves to, especially if it's changing frequently. It might be something to try, however, if it's not too much effort for an experiment.

I'd be afraid that they won't be able to build up a playerbase, especially not the playerbase they had before, but I do miss TTT and DarkRP, however unrealistic their return really is. If they were to return, they would truly need real effort and interest from management, developers, and staff for any kind of actual traction, and there's huge potential for everything to go to waste, so I think it's understandable for everyone if it's not possible at the moment. If it does happen, they'd need a huge initial boost from everyone in the community, and that momentum would need to be maintained long enough for new players to start to notice and join in, if they're even around in the first place. Nonetheless, it would be amazing to have that experience back, and even more so if it can come back fresh and exciting, with new experiences to enjoy. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, and it's not as bad as it seems.

On that topic, strangely, the few times I've played Garry's Mod since Poseidon's departure, I've experienced it to be pretty dead—and that seems to be the sentiment echoed throughout the community—but steam charts seems to suggest that the game is basically doing as good as ever? My best guess is that it's still chugging along in other countries, but perhaps this could indicate there's still interest in the game, if anyone's willing to take the risk on it.

In terms of other games, Minecraft seems to be making a bit of a comeback, and it could be something to look into again? I've been playing a bit here and there, and I know that it's something myself and others could enjoy, if the right people are chosen and the right approach is taken. I've personally found that for a very long time, SMP servers have kind of taken a back seat to minigame cash cows, and finding a good SMP server with a decent community has been too much effort for me to even bother after my regular server closed down years ago. It could be something that people are interested in if the renewed interest hasn't already passed, but it seems like it's still in pop culture, and the eyes on it may last long enough for Poseidon to get a piece of the pie. Again, though, big changes have to be made from how the previous server was handled, and I don't think it should be used as an accurate representation of how a Poseidon Minecraft server could perform.

I don't really play very many games with the same multiplayer options, so I don't have much to stand on in terms of suggesting for that. There's been talk about Rust/ARK/CS:GO in the past, maybe that's an option if somebody with more experience wants to suggest it? Either way, other games might be a good idea for Poseidon, especially if Garry's Mod isn't viable anymore. Game nights, as suggested, could be a really fun way to get the community back engaged with each other, especially if traditionally hosted servers aren't something that Poseidon can accomplish; I've played a bit of Jackbox and found it really fun, and I'd definitely love to be a part of it if somebody wants to organise that!

Sorry for the essay..

To cut it short, I like the suggestions in this thread, and I'd love to see Poseidon staff and community get back together again, if it be Garry's Mod, another game, or just organised events. It's likely not possible, but honestly, I'd really love to see TTT and DarkRP (or even just one or the other) again, and it could potentially be something worth gambling on? Minecraft would be fun with the right approach and management, and I think there's people that'd be interested.

If nothing else at least bring back Jailbreak

• Friendly 4
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 1

I just want flood run by hamad again please give him a server

• Disagree 1
  • Suspicious 2
  • hnnnngngngng 1

My primary concern with Minecraft is that its something we have tried countless times before. Quite literally in the tens of times, by different people nearly every time. Almost half a decade.

It won't kick off without a pre-existing player base to keep it going and continuous attempts have proven this. @Lantos has shown lack of interest based on these grounds too.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1