bat

Where to go from here?

You might wonder what the forums being back means for Poseidon. It doesn't have to mean anything. We can just keep the forums up as a general chat hub and archive of old posts, if that's all people want.

But without promising anything, if people want some servers or functionality back, we could look into doing so. 

I'd love to see people's suggestions for servers to bring back. That said, you'd have to make a pretty strong case on why you think it would be worth it. 

We're also considering adding extra benefits to the donator role on the forums.

A potential idea of my own:

Even if we don't bring back any full-time gamemodes as of yet, I'm interested to see if people would be interested in a server wherein it cycles a different gamemode each week (examples listed below). These would typically be gamemodes with little full-time/long term appeal. We'd probably make use of the forum's calendar to set events for perhaps Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, which people can RSVP to so everyone has an idea of how populated the event might be.

Examples of gamemodes featured this way could be:

• Race 
  • Ragdoll Combat
  • Flood
  • Cinema (for "movie nights")
  • Deathrun
  • Open to suggestions for more

(I realise we had some of these gamemodes full-time and they were sometimes successful in that regard, but they are also very fun as short-term arcade gamemodes)

In addition to the gmod gamemodes, I would like to use the calendar to arrange games outside gmod which might not even require hosting, such as 

• Cards Against Humanity
  • Skribbl.io
  • Bonk.io
  • Other online games that are easily set up and popular amongst people
  • Jackbox party packs (requires someone with decent net who owns the game(s) to stream, though)

I'd love to hear people's opinions on what direction we should take, and also expressions of interest for the idea I suggested above.

• Friendly 11
  • Good Idea! 3
  • Suspicious 1

God damn it Bat, taking my idea as your own? Rotating game mode was my idea 😞

• Friendly 1
  • Dumb 1
  • Yikes 1
  • Suspicious 1
  • Appalled 1

Race is coming back finally after posting about it for years.

Having a single or maybe 2 servers that alternate between between gamemodes that're essentially minigames and whatnot would be really good idea if enough people would want that to happen. Gamemodes such as Hide N Seek, Guess Who and even Prop Hunt would fit well into an alternate cycle of gamemodes as it's basic and easy to understand how to play.

• Informative 1

I think that’s a great idea ☺️.

However, obviously given Gmods ever dwindling player base, and the fact that servers aren’t free/without requiring a lot of a PC’s processing power, I feel like this will be at least somewhat of a burden to whoever needs to run it.

I’m not super familiar with Gmod servers specifically, but in my experience with Minecraft servers, it’s not exactly a fun thing to deal with. I just hope whoever has the responsibility is up to the task and doesn’t expect much in return in terms of player numbers or money 😕

• Friendly 1

6 minutes ago, remix said:

Race is coming back finally after posting about it for years.

Having a single or maybe 2 servers that alternate between between gamemodes that're essentially minigames and whatnot would be really good idea if enough people would want that to happen. Gamemodes such as Hide N Seek, Guess Who and even Prop Hunt would fit well into an alternate cycle of gamemodes as it's basic and easy to understand how to play.

Race would still need to be fixed up, it had some issues. I think that was why it never really came back up. The other gamemodes you suggested sound good. I'm looking for kind of simple minigames like that. Whether we had one server that was more of a "sometimes" event server, which sticks with the same gamemode for a few days, and then another server set up like Fretta where people can vote for gamemodes, is something for consideration.

8 minutes ago, Bibbity Booty said:

I think that’s a great idea ☺️.

However, obviously given Gmods ever dwindling player base, and the fact that servers aren’t free/without requiring a lot of a PC’s processing power, I feel like this will be at least somewhat of a burden to whoever needs to run it.

I’m not super familiar with Gmod servers specifically, but in my experience with Minecraft servers, it’s not exactly a fun thing to deal with. I just hope whoever has the responsibility is up to the task and doesn’t expect much in return in terms of player numbers or money 😕

Ideally we'd like to at least break even on the costs, though if we don't, that might be ok. If running the server(s) is proving to be fun (good community), split between a few people the cost might not be too bad.

• Friendly 1
  • Good Idea! 1

yeaaa uhh maybe move poseidon onto different games or just try to get darkrp back up. im sure everyones had a good break away from darkrp and would be happy to return.

• Thinking 1

A cycle server would be cool, and something outside of Gmod

• Friendly 1