Sign in to follow this  
yinmaester8

Should the Centerlink Welfare system be abolished?

Social welfare should be a pay-in system where you can only take what you pay into the tax system. :dab:

• Sad 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, kibble said:

Social welfare should be a pay-in system where you can only take what you pay into the tax system. :dab:

What's the point in taxing if people are just going to proceed to receive it back anyway

My opinion is welfare should only be accessible to veterans and elderly btw
I think homeless people should have the opportunity provided they work for the government in a similar matter to japan, ie cleaning the streets at night etc

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

On 2/26/2019 at 8:58 PM, [RTD] New Kung Fu Kenny said:

52528652_570124913474014_7274356564155170816_n.png

You'll find that crackheads aren't the major benefactors of social welfare. The majority of it will be going to pensions/students and single families. yep... just checked. Welfare in this case is just a band-aid to our problems.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook45p/WelfareCost

The root causes of things is when you allow debt to go unchecked. I'm not saying that debt is bad. Things like having student loans adjusted at cpi  mean that in future the price of uni goes up because there is more money chasing it.
Then you have a bunch of students chasing debt and need "student allowances" to live on 2min noodles...
combine it with students finishing uni and then being unemployed for a year, just to go on "start up allowances".  Also the majority of the welfare for a student will be going towards rent. Which in turn props up the property market.

Then you look at single families... It's an unfortunate situation but similar case. The majority of the welfare going towards renting...

combine this with negative gearing, and foreign investment. you get a nice feedback loop.

But of course the people the parents of the students won't want to get rid of negative gearing because its their nest egg for retirement . The same people who cry "my kids will never afford a house".

Its the scenario of man bear pig in the recent southpark episodes.

WelfareCost01.jpg.24841f88e19219da94fe0facc9979d6b.jpg

52528652_570124913474014_7274356564155170816_n.png.7b53e9dd7c8ae6e110466b44b6918b54.png

• Informative 1
  • Winner 2
  • bat 1
  • Suspicious 1

What a classic. As Lantos so perfectly pointed out, the majority of those who receive welfare are single families, the elderly and students, people who arguably require it. You willing neglect to mention that even those on unemployment benefits are required to lodge numerous job applications every month, and show evidence for searching for employment. 

The social implications would be astronomical. You pretend as if the people who receive these benefits often have immediate options, as if employment dangles from their grasp, yet they elect to remain unemployed to 'bludge' on the dole. I am sure their are still problems with the system, which are exploited by those who genuinely have the capacity to search for jobs, just opt against doing so. However, in the vast majority of cases as the expenditure illustrates, it's those who are incapable of supporting themselves financially with the assistance of the government which benefit the most from Centrelink, which I remind you is the purpose of it as a social service. 

I am student, and whilst I do have a part-time job, it would be virtually impossible for me to study properly, and work a sufficient amount of hours to independently sustain myself financially. I have the luxury of having the support of my parents, many do not. I can imagine how difficult it already is on the meagre payments people receive as a government allowance to financially sustain oneself, pay rent, pay for food, pay for textbooks etc. 

The grand solution is not abolishing it for everyone else with the exception of Vets and the Elderly, you would create even greater social issues as a result. Higher crime rates often flow from an inability to financially support oneself, as well as a less stimulated economy, further compounding the issue of employment with those already employment. Beyond that, you leaving families, students, human beings to starve, to live in poverty. If that's something you believe is preferable to the current system, good luck to you.

The grand solution is further tweaking the system, so that those in need, who are unable to financially support themselves, receive the support, and those who are not, do not.

52528652_570124913474014_7274356564155170816_n.png.7b53e9dd7c8ae6e110466b44b6918b54.png.03d4f59081012c6fde6797760ae4f85a.png

Edited by Malcolm

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

The grand solution is further tweaking the system, so that those in need, who are unable to financially support themselves, receive the support, and those who are not, do not.

This is what I'm saying. The centerlink system at its roots is so fundamentally flawed it's ridiculous.

To begin:

My mother has 3 dependent children currently and is a single parent (widowed). She not only struggles on the little money she *was* receiving, Centerlink is now asking her to apply for 12~ (unsure exactly the number)  jobs a month to continue receiving payments. She's chosen to go study instead of this. It's somewhat understandable cutting the money she receives on pension, but to cut the money she receives from large family supplement and being a parent aswell is flawed imo.

To contrast on how difficult it is for her to receive money at all:

1359125661_hahafunnymeme.PNG.b11aaf1f896d9fdf69ebcba1300fbc52.PNG

This was my last payment as a uni student, listed as dependent, on youth allowance with rent assistance. 
The Australian government is throwing money at people who (without any financial maturity) are going to throw their money away on booze and drugs (i see this happen ALL the time)

If you can tell me with a straight face that you think me, a student who is ALSO working at 36 dollars an hour, is more entitled to this kind of money than a single mother of 6 with no job, then 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

good luck to you.

I think the system is atrocious as it stands and needs to be heavily reworked or entirely removed.

Social welfare should go to those who want to contribute to society but don't have the funds for it so they can use those funds to get a job and once they have that job there will be no need for welfare for them. The purpose of social welfare should be for that and only that.

• Good Idea! 1

Fucking hell yin you rollin in that shit

I only get $304.40 bucks a fortnight off centrelink on youth allowance of which the only reason I am on it is that I dont even have my drivers licence because my mum cant afford to let me drive her car and with the little money we recieve my mum takes $250 of that leaving me with $50 for 2 weeks which isnt enough to fix my car to get my licence to even consider getting a job (i have to look for 10 a month with no hope of getting to any living in country Victoria)

Id love to work and have the skills needed but i just keep getting turned down because A: I cant get anywhere due to lack of transport and licence and B: No experience. how does one get experience if they cannot work 🤔

The welfare system is completely fucked for some they are setting up to sit on due to large amounts of pay and for others to starve on not enough.  

And yet Australia is left bug eyed as to why suicide rates in youth are so high? Gee maybe because we cannot afford to live so we feel its easier on ourselves and our families to just end it all

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

What a classic. As Lantos so perfectly pointed out, the majority of those who receive welfare are single families, the elderly and students, people who arguably require it. You willing neglect to mention that even those on unemployment benefits are required to lodge numerous job applications every month, and show evidence for searching for employment.

I didn't neglect to mention it. I didn't mention it because its a null point in what I was saying. Thats why I lead with "The root causes of things is when you allow debt to go unchecked".

you may have misread or interpreted my point with the tone of defaming people, which is incorrect. I am trying to relate background to the topic because it plays a big part into this problem.

Why blame the people who inherit the situation...
Also education around if uni is even right for you at highschool level would be an awesome starter. Perhaps could see a slight relief in prices of uni as there'd be less demand.

someone edit the letmein meme so its yin, jackpot and his allowance.

• jimmy 1