yinmaester8

Should Australia have the right to bear arms?

1 hour ago, Hinzy said:

why did no one reply to the link I posted pages ago 😞 https://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2016/gun-city/day1.html

coz it from 2016 u tard (It's a joke, so no one calls my a hypocrite when I use things from 2013 🙂)

1 hour ago, yinmaester8 said:

bad people do bad things, with or without the firearms

But firearms give people the opportunity to protect themselves, and its been taken away 

Of course bad people are going to do bad things with or without firearms if they're wanting to cause a criminal offense/harm there's almost nothing to stop their mentality to do that, and whilst firearms can give people the chance to defend themselves, it can also be used to make other criminal offences (such as home invasions, robberies, muggings etc.) easier to manage and pull off (although they'd more than likely get caught afterwards). Giving firearms just for the sake to defend against others isn't a smart thing to do, due to the previous point I made; and such as if you make guns legal to that of a law abiding citizen, there's still that chance that those firearms could be given to those that want to do harm with them. I can say with 100% certainty that if firearms were to be made legal, there'd be massive conflict against it, and if a mass shooting were to happen (which it will happen eventually), then it'd bring a negative reputation on Australia (and considering it's already got some of a negative reputation it wouldn't help it out a lot).

But thats just it, bad people find ways to get firearms, regardless of whether or not there are laws against them.

So if we make firearms legal then problem solved I guess :D. People are always looking to push boundaries and exploit them, and giving them the chance to exploit the boundaries far more than what they could already have done is just not ideal.

18%, thats one in five people killed in their own home without a reasonable method to defend themselves against someone with a firearm

18% that's a big number for Australia which holds ~24.6 million, and that'd roughly be 4.42 million people, seems correct? No. Going off of this source, there were an estimate of 225,900 home robberies in the year of 2017, now 18% of that would be 40,662, which don't get me wrong I'm not saying "pfft that's nothing" 40 thousand people is a huge number, but the way you put it, makes it seem way worse than what it probably is. So a better way you should've worded it be "18%, that's one in five people *that are home robberered (or whatever)*, killed in their own home without a reasonable method to defend themselves against."

Adding on top of this, from this source here, it shows the recorded crime from 2003 all the way through 2013, which is a decades worth.
(For anyone that's confused as to what each column means; UEWI means break and enter or buglary; MVT and 'Other Theft' ncludes offences such as pickpocketing, bag snatching, shoplifting and bicycle theft.)

download.png.3c1a586ad7b6bfcdbad54d10d875d8a8.png

and going off this, you can clearly see that in 10 years both UEWI and MVT crimes have almost gone down 50%, and 'Other Theft' go down by roughly 25%. Whilst this can be used as an argument to possibly prove that without guns it's making Australia better off, you can find something that's similar but have it completely 180 what this shows.

download.png.5b43f7f1dbdd73bed5b7fce531c8df68.png

Here's a pie chart of the weapons that had been used to commit murder, as you can see 25% of murders were caused by a firearm, whereas a majority of murders that were committed that year, were caused by knives in the year of 2013. You make guns legal in Australia, and that pie chart would be unrecognizable.

You cannot tell me that there is a *reasonable* method to defend yourself against a firearm without having one yourself.

Guns are illegal in Australia and it's hard enough to get one as it is. Making firearms legal doesn't solve anything to defend against others wielding a firearm, it'll only cause more problems, and it'll eventually end up like the States possibly. That's not something that I'd personally want, as everything is near-perfect the way it is right now (from my point of view and experiences). 

As you said, (as ill informed as it was) its just "pull the trigger", so how is one meant to defend against that?

It's really simple you see, you just don't make firearms legal so that way almost any Australian can't get their hands on a gun and go robbing your house, as I said before it's hard enough to get one as it is (possibly; I'm not too knowledgeable about that area), and making guns more easily accessible and readily available, increases the chance of that happening by some huge percentage. All of what I've said is opinionated, some/most of it might not be factual, but it's just my point of view.

> Home robberies with a bladed weapon = bad
> Make firearms legal to defend against those :))))))
> Home robberies with a gun; but you have one to defend yourself with = good
> Logic
> ???

Edited by remix
  • Winner 1

I TOLD YOU TYRANNY WAS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT, NOW WE'RE ALL FUCKED

https://tendaily.com.au/news/politics/a181206rod/encryption-laws-pass-senate-at-last-minute-20181206

" They include extending the powers to state and territory police forces and ensuring they cover a broad range of serious offences and not simply terrorism. " gg my bois free speech is coming down.

Edited by Almond

1 hour ago, Almond said:

I TOLD YOU TYRANNY WAS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT, NOW WE'RE ALL FUCKED

https://tendaily.com.au/news/politics/a181206rod/encryption-laws-pass-senate-at-last-minute-20181206

" They include extending the powers to state and territory police forces and ensuring they cover a broad range of serious offences and not simply terrorism. " gg my bois free speech is coming down.

I don't think you actually know what free speech is 🤔

• Agree 1