Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Ban Appeal - DarkRP (Doxing)
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2018, 10:08 PM by PauleRP.)

~ Steam name: DPKVC
~ Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:86503956
~ Game mode: DarkRP
~ RP Name: Paule Cock
~ Banned by: Unprovided
~ Length of ban: Permanent
~ Ban Reason/Account: "Doxing"

I opened a user's public Steam Profile and read aloud the information that the user had chosen to display on their own public Steam Profile.

~ Your Evidence/Appeal:

Reading the information displayed on a user's Steam Profile, which is both provided by the user and put on display with the user's consent aloud over proximity chat is not considered doxing and should not be considered doxing. It is merely taking information out of context and putting it elsewhere.

What would be considered an act of doxing? 
Accessing and leaking information that IS NOT PROVIDED by the user WITHOUT CONSENT - i.e. Address, Phone number, name (if not provided), country/state (if not provided).

In saying so, reading aloud the information that the user has provided is simply that - it is only reading the information displayed publicly on the user's Steam Profile, available for all users to see as well as the information to be accessed by all users.

Attached below: An example of the information used in the case.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Buddy even if the information is there it's still in a way a form of "doxing". I have a Facebook profile and it's public but that doesn't mean I'm going to show the world. Maybe if you had just asked the player can I share your information it would be fine or you just told him without anyone else knowing but it appears you showed everyone. This is a grey area like with the Cinco case, but taking someone's information and sharing it without their consent is plainly doxing. Now it sounds like you got banned because you did it without their consent. Now I think Jimmy may have been the one to ban you but I'm not quite sure so your gonna have to get the person that banned you's verdict. Neutral

Justin Starke
Forum Mod
Dark Admin | Event Coordinator
TTT Mod
Jailbreak Admin
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM by Cain.)

(06-13-2018, 07:44 AM)Larko Wrote: -snip-

It was on his steam profile though

[Image: MaFQmHT.png]

"Justin Starke, Tamworth NSW"
From his description of his ban, this is all he did.

(06-13-2018, 12:16 PM)Cain Wrote:

Even if it is on your profile without consent you do not have the right to go around and share someone's identity.

Justin Starke
Forum Mod
Dark Admin | Event Coordinator
TTT Mod
Jailbreak Admin

(06-13-2018, 01:29 PM)Larko Wrote:

Even if it is on your profile without consent you do not have the right to go around and share someone's identity.

Please keep in mind that the only person I shared the information with was the same person the information belonged to.
What I did was walk up to him and read off his profile. I didn't share it with anyone else.
The platform the information was shared over is the same platform the information is displayed on - the issue is that I accessed and shared the information of a user to the same user the information belonged to over the same platform.

(06-13-2018, 07:44 AM)Larko Wrote: I have a Facebook profile and it's public but that doesn't mean I'm going to show the world.

This is very different as your talking about facebook... You don't play on the servers using your Facebook account. People are very obviously going to be able to see what's on your steam profile if it's readily accessible with literally 1 click. Jackson Morgan needs to change his steam settings/information if he's not comfortable with it being viewed by our players. 
The fact that this is being called doxing is absolutely pathetic and laughable. It also seems to me that next to no investigating was done by the banning staff member to find out how the information was "leaked". This to me is very slack and lazy on the banning staff members behalf, especially seeings how I questioned the "dox" immediately yet no answers were given. 

+1 for immediate unban on the basis that this is what actually happened. 

Givingme brain tumors just thinking about this. Especially with how many "sits" are called by Jackson Morgan
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 02:58 PM by Pelican.)

(06-13-2018, 01:29 PM)Larko Wrote:

but you have not banned cain yet for 'doxing' you? got em

what a stupid ban reason 

+1 for unban
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 03:12 PM by Napoleon.)

+1 for a Full unban. Though I wouldn't suggest doing that in the Future as some players take it as a threat.

Also Larko, no hate but the Profile was Public to the Whole world to see and he's complaining about him directly knowing the information from another. Facebook is something else. It's like going in their Public profile and reading the Description to them. Same with steam, Go into their Profile and read it to them.

+1 for unban Jackson morgans sits are the worst

+1 for both an unban and to demote Jackson
Firstly because Jackson’s a complete retard, why is he conducting sits as a trusted, and secondly because he deadass “lied” about someone doxxing him. I use quotation marks because since Jackson is autistic, he may genuinely not know what doxxing is, but should be demoted regardless for being that much of an incompetent blowhard

SWRP: Moderator

Jailbreak: Administrator
Thread Closed  This thread is locked.